Low code development: for fast and efficient software development
Low code application development is gaining more and more popularity. More and more companies are making the move to a low code software development process. According to Locofy, this trend will not change course anytime soon. But, what is it, and why do organizations find it so interesting? We list it.
What is low code?
Low code development is an approach to software development that aims to simplify the application development process by reducing the amount of manual coding required. Instead of writing complex code from scratch, developers use visual interfaces and drag-and-drop tools to build applications. Using low code platforms allows developers to focus on the design and functionality of the application, rather than the underlying code.
Unlike a high code development process, particularly a traditional software development method where developers need extensive programming knowledge to build applications, low code development aims to allow organizations to build and deploy apps faster. Organizations can thus easily meet their business needs and launch applications faster, without having to rely on their highly skilled developers.
What is low code development used for?
Low code development is generally used for building various applications. Mobile and Web applications are the applications for which this form of software development is most often used. Furthermore, low code platforms can also provide tools and frameworks to build workflow applications that help companies automate and track their processes. Finally, low code development can be used to create dashboards and reports for data analysis.
To build such a low code application, there is a need for a low code platform. This type of software development platform requires little to no manual programming, due to its visual interfaces, drag-and-drop tools and pre-built templates. This makes the development process accessible to non-technical users as well, reducing the need for IT specialists. So in times when IT personnel are scarce, this is a nice bonus. Well-known low code platforms include Appian, Mendix, Microsoft Power Apps, OutSystems and Salesforce App Cloud.
What are the benefits of low code development?
Low code application development can bring several benefits. We list the main ones for you:
- Faster application development. Low code platforms can significantly speed up the application development process. This is because such platforms provide several predefined components and templates. In addition, these applications can get to market faster, which also allows developers to react faster to changing market conditions and customer needs. Low-code development is thus particularly suitable for organizations that need to build applications quickly, with limited development resources or that want to accelerate the development process.
- Less need for technical knowledge. Low code allows developers to build applications without having to delve into the depths of different programming languages and frameworks. The visual interface of these platforms allows more people than just programmers to make changes effectively because they don't have to write code. This makes for less reliance on software developers and IT specialists.
- Cost savings. Because building low code applications takes less time and requires fewer highly skilled developers, development is typically less expensive than if an app is set up through a traditional software development method with manual code.
- Greater flexibility. Low code development is also of interest to organizations that want to be more agile and respond quickly to changing business needs. The application is quickly and easily adaptable without having to scroll through a long list of code or worry about dependencies. This allows organizations to stay ahead of the competition and better respond to changing market conditions.
- Fewer errors. Because low code development requires less code to be written manually, it significantly lowers the chances of errors or bugs.
However, it is important to note that low-code development is not a replacement for traditional software development. It is a complementary approach that can be used in conjunction with traditional development methods. In some cases, low-code platforms are not suitable for complex applications that require a lot of customization. In these cases, manual coding may still be required.
Quivvy Solutions and low code development
Quivvy is only too happy to pull the card of low code development, delivering quality and efficient low code applications tailored to your business. Our team of experienced developers listens to the ideas and requirements of you and your company, to come up with an optimal solution that reflects the business needs.
Are you interested in an app that does not require much code and is easy to manage? Are you curious about what Quivvy can do for you? Contact us, or check out our other services.